Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Best Job in the World

Among some comments about the passing of the great Christian historian Jaroslav Pelikan (converted to Orthodoxy in 1998), I found this delightful bon mot:

Nancy Wellins Says:
May 16th, 2006 at 9:43 pm

(snip)

How vividly I recall his encomium to the academic life, which I recall verbatim, 30-odd years later: "Here I sit, day after day, reading exactly what I want, and at the end of every month the university mails me a rather large check. I’d almost feel guilty about it, but I’ve never been very good at feeling guilty."

From : http://titusonenine.classicalanglican.net/?p=12932#comment-586964

1 comment:

  1. What a great quote. I hope that is the way I feel about whatever job I get when I graduate (somehow I have a feeling that won't happen)

    ReplyDelete